Monday 15 February 2016

Pen Up My Name

A pen name, or pseudonym, is a fictitious handle an author uses for various reasons, much like an actor uses a stage name. A notable example of a writer using a pen name is, "Anne Rice." That, is your mildly exciting fun fact for the week. I'd suspect you probably already knew that though, particularly if you are a fan of erotic vampire novels, whose contents make for fascinating, yet frightfully impolite dinner conversation.

I myself use a pseudonym, and have already been asked a few times now for the reason why. The answer to this is simple, marketability. My actual name is a very common one. It is a strong name and one of which I am very proud, despite my middle name translating to, "elfin princess." The sticking point for me however, is the fact that my name is shared by many, many people.

For example, in my home town with a population of less than five-thousand, there were at least two of us. Just down the road in a nearby community of roughly similar size, there was at least one more. Google searches revealed countless ranks of me, including one version who apparently is a fine arts photographer in Singapore. Other choice returns from Google amidst the ninety-seven-million results, included interior design, a Welsh politician, several professors and a women's soccer coach. All of that suggested my actual name would have too much competition and I would be better suited with something different.

I set about looking up my first name combined with various interesting sir names, finally settling upon, "Jonathan Birdsall." This happily, out of all the writing handles I concocted, returned the fewest results, almost ninety-seven-million fewer than my actual name. Indeed most of the returns I looked at were obituaries, which I suspect are probably not going to offer any stiff competition.

The reason for carefully selecting this pseudonym as I've mentioned above, is marketability. Massive amounts of websites and information are now available online, making it extremely difficult to come up with something unusual enough to stand out. Your author handle is essentially your business or brand name, writing and selling books being your business, your author name being what you'd post in neon letters above your front door.

All of the above went into my decision to use a pen name, and then to devise one and research it. It was not a simple or quick process. It was a tough decision and I experience occasional pangs of self doubt. coffee I've found is most helpful with such times. Its near medicinal effects chase away my doubts, and empower me to reaffirm I indeed made the correct choice regarding my writing handle, lady soccer players or not.

Just before I sign out, I have some exciting news to share! My short story, "The Heinous Measure," is set to appear in the April 2016 issue of, "Inner Sins." I'll post more information when available.

I post every monday as that in my less than humble opinion, is the best day of the week, so check back next week for another exciting installment of my genius.

Follow me on Facebook at: facebook.com/writerjonathanbirdsall

I look forward to seeing you again next monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment