Monday 8 February 2016

Call me Crazy, but I Like Editing

Hopefully you're sitting down, as today I open with a confession. I am more than a little bit unique. For example, I find heavy metal relaxing, love eating zucchini, treat my chronic health issues and disabilities as a source of fun, enjoy speaking in random accents and know how to make balloon animals. The list goes on, but you get the picture. I am most definitely weird.

For years the label of weird bothered me. It was the wisdom and advice of two sage and good friends that taught me to not only accept my individuality but to embrace it. There will always be other people that have negative opinions of you, so why not just be yourself and enjoy life. This, if you've not yet discovered it for yourself, is invaluable advice and may banish much stress from your world.

The reason I open with that nugget of social commentary is simple. As a writer, being weird is a huge asset. Indeed, most creative people live outside of the box, and I suspect that even amongst writers I might stand out for my level of weirdness. That is because I love the editing process.

Few things bring me as much joy and contentment as digging through one of my own completed drafts looking for mistakes ranging from things only I'd notice, to glaringly obvious word tragedies screaming for help. Editing is something all of us writers must do to polish and shine our manuscripts, but much of the buzz I hear about my fellows is that they find editing to be horrible, agonizing, tedious etc. Maybe it's because I have a passion for holistic therapy and healing that I love this, as to me my drafts are like word people. Each story contains numerous elements, some deep, some shallow, some right on the surface, all of which need tender loving care so that they can be pulled together into the best damn piece of writing they can be.

I suspect as well, that one of the reasons other writers dislike editing so much is that it makes them question their own talent. When I first started, "A Touch of Wolf's Bane," my first published piece, I experienced this feeling. However I quickly learned that each successive revision of that story was better than the previous one. That in turn lead me to realize that the original draft of a piece of work will probably be terrible, but eventually through numerous edits, will enter the light at the end of the tunnel, and stand as polished work worthy of the eyes of others. Now, when I edit I look forward to that time when the current draft will at last enter that glimmering magnificence, and I can enjoy knowing that I was responsible for creating and shaping the word person before me.

I hope that if you are a writer yourself, or aspiring to become one, that this post helps you. Throughout my short writing career I've already learned that it is a world full of stress. My goal is to help you ease some of that, so that you enjoy the amazing rewards the world of story telling brings.

Finally, I am excited to share my first novel, "The Cripple's Game," has entered its third stage of editing, and draws closer to its release. I shall post periodic updates about its approach, so stay tuned.

Starting today, I'll be posting every Monday as that is my favorite day of the week, so check back next week for another exciting installment of my brilliance.

Follow me on Facebook at: facebook.com/writerjonathanbirdsall

I look forward to seeing you again next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment