Monday 4 April 2016

The Greatness of Random Inspiration

Special Announcement:

The Heinous Measure is now available for free in issue 23 of Innersins Magazine.

Description: Sometimes proving your ability as a disabled person requires acts of great evil, and you must face a grim reality in realizing that equality.

Innersins Issue 23

The Glory of Random Ideas:

The Heinous Measure is a perfect example of one of those random ideas that seemed stupid, and that popped into my head in the middle of the night a few months ago. I used to just dismiss such as I didn't see the value in them, but now I make a point of writing them down. As in my tale I promote above, they can turn out to be great ideas even though they might seem silly at first and if fleshed out can result in a nice, shiny, published piece for others to enjoy.

Where my random ideas like this come from I have no clue. I will say though there are three usual times they prefer to pop into my head. These are of course, when I wake up in the middle of the night, especially after a weird or bad dream, in the shower, or during my first cup of coffee for the day. If an idea is good enough I have been known to speed to my laptop to write it down, momentarily pushing aside what ever I was doing when inspiration touched me. Yes, that includes during the middle of toweling dry from a shower. That mental image is free, and hopefully you're welcome. It was most definitely my pleasure.

The funny thing is, these thoughts that just hit me out of no where in my opinion at least, seem to be the better ideas. I spent over a month writing another short story entitled, "Choice of Sins," which was based on a carefully formulated plan, surrounding a subject about which I'd long wanted to write a story, the urban legends of the black-eyed children. The Heinous Measure on the other hand, as I've stated was based purely off an idea that hit me one night, seemingly out of nowhere, and I combined that with a loose description of an incident that happened to me in the hospital when I was losing my sight. I assure you, the part to which I refer, that did, to some extent, kind of happen, is the paranormal part of this tale, and not the more evil part. I will not get too specific here as I abhor spoilers and would rather you discover the dark joys in my new piece for yourself.

My point is, I have yet to find a publisher for what I still feel is a great story, "Choice of Sins," while on the other hand, what was a random thought in the middle of the night when I was getting up for a drink of water, is what got published. This taught me that maybe those silly little ideas weren't so ridiculous after all and that I should at least respect them for their potential value, if not give them greater weight and appreciation.

Your Thoughts:

What do you do with those little sparks of inspiration you yourself receive? I'd love to know.

Hit me up on Facebook: Author Jonathan Birdsall on Facebook, or on Twitter: Writer Jonathan Birdsall (@writerjbird) or by leaving a comment below.

I look forward to seeing you, and expounding a further measure of my brilliance next monday. Cheers my good readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment